



Nicolet Performing Arts Committee
Meeting Minutes
04-05-22

Attendees: Erik Kakulis, Jamin Hoffman, Bobbi Rector, Natalie Hansen, Michael McDowell, Trinny Schumann, Sue Richards, Angie Biersach, Joe Patek

1) Finance report:

- a) Expenses: Sue reported that we spent \$100.00 for Concert Concessions, \$575.00 for accompanists for the North Shore Vocal Arts Day (Middle School Outreach) event and \$295.56 for the printing of the Combined Concert Programs. Expenses: \$970.56
- b) Revenue: Sue reported that we had new revenue from donations from businesses for profit percentages of \$300.00 from the Brick and \$90.00 from The Kabab Shack and donations from individuals of \$335.00 since the March meeting. One program ad for \$120.00 from The Kabab Shack. The fishbowl earned \$526.00 total from The Kebab Shack, The Brick, Something Rotten and the Combined Concert. Income: \$1,371.00. Also, concession food worth \$124 was donated by Jen and Ari Friedman.

Current Academic Year to date Expenses: \$9596.49 Revenue: \$9285.79 Current approximate fund balance: \$28,732.

The budget was reviewed. There is money left for ice cream, middle school outreach. This year's budget wasn't pre-developed, so it's being added in as we go along. Sue will work on getting her past 4 years of Treasurer spreadsheets, payment requests, invoices, etc. into the Google drive, so there is history for next year's volunteers to compare.

- c) Sue asked Mr. McDowell what the procedure is that the instructors do with the cash boxes the PAC runs the concessions with. What happens after the show? Sometimes the fishbowl money gets taken with it.

Mr. McDowell: The cash box deposit gets taken to the office and put into the PAC account. I don't recall if there was fish bowl money.

Bobbi: At the Combined Concert, that stayed with me and the Honeydew Improvements volunteer. We didn't combine it.

Jen: And we had the petty cash and whatever we started with, the profits were added.

Mr. McDowell: I deposited that the following day.

Sue: I'll see it on the reports in a month or two.

Bobbi: How much did we make on concessions?

Mr. McDowell: I'll check and email it.

[This following part was under the Band Update, but it's a budget request, so putting it here.]

Michael: Trinny and Jamin, let's talk to the entire group about some of the year end events that we'd like to request funds for.

We were putting together the year end budget looking at our remaining funds in our instructional budget and we had a little bit of extra expense this year, partly because I did some extra instrument cleaning and maintenance at the beginning of the year, to make sure everyone had well functioning instruments that were cleaned and disinfected, especially because of Covid. We also spent a little extra on some software and some instructional tools because we've been working in this new block format.

Long story short, we need to ask the PAC for a little bit of extra help for some special events at the end of the year. These include items like awards that we give out at the concert and awards ceremonies, to recognize different students for outstanding contributions, most improved, recognizing seniors with a flower or some type of token in celebration of what they've been doing. We (Jamin, Trinny, myself) put together a list and have come up with a budget of:

Awards \$720.00

Post-Concert Celebration Materials, Choir Senior Flowers \$400.00

Orchestra Concert Accompanists \$300.00

State Vocal Solo Accompanist \$300.00

Laura Finn - Local Nicolet Graduate - Solo Harpist \$500.00

Total: \$2,220.00

Jamin: I bring accompanists into a couple sections in the freshman level group due to weak enrollment. I bring in another professional viola player to help the one player I have. In the Chamber Orchestra, I bring in another professional to help out the one bass player. I also bring in 2 professional percussionists that can walk in and play the concert.

We'll do our programs in house ourselves.

Mike: Right. I'm excited to have Lauren there because we have another student who is looking into playing the harp. The overall request is about \$2,200.00 They are all in different categories, but we as a teaching group wanted to bring these to the entire group.

so we can plan for the remainder of the events for the entire year. Are there any questions or discussions, or do we have a vote or decision on behalf of the board?

Bobbi: This is our first year so I have no idea what's the precedent. Is this an unusual request or an average request?

Mike: Sue, do you want to talk about your experience in the past with these requests or should I give some context? It's hard for me to be objective. I can talk about the history of the group and what's been supported in the past.

Trinny: The S & E Accompanists will be \$300.00 outside of this request. I emailed that to Sue and have to get the invoice to her.

Sue: In the past we have gotten all sorts of requests and we usually try to fulfill them. I don't think we've ever turned down any requests if we have the money. Usually we just vote on it as a committee. Should I send this out to the entire group?

Jen: A couple questions: The money that was allocated for the orchestra celebration? Is there a reason that that's not budgeted the same way the reception is for the band? Should some of these be incorporated into the budget for next year?

Jamin: We were asked at the beginning of the school year for any of these items, but we had no idea at the beginning of the year. A lot of stuff did not get asked for in a timely fashion. We weren't sure about anything.

Sue: And my budget wasn't all put together because I didn't know. So I've just been adding it as we go along. It's an expandable budget this year.

Jen: And I totally understand that. That's something to think about incorporating for the future. My second question is, is there a way to offset some of these expenses so we wouldn't take such a hit? For example, for the year end band celebration, do we ever ask our parents for these groups, we'd like to have a party for the kids, are you willing to contribute \$10.00? At \$10.00 a kid it would help offset some of those expenses.

Michael: Well, to be honest with you, this is the teachers asking the parents of the kids to make that contribution. The PAC is the vehicle that we've used. It's either that or collecting money for a party or taking more donations at the party at the end of the year.

For a long time I would make the request for the concessions or the sundae bar, etc. and finally someone said, we approve this every year, let's just put it in the budget.

Jen: This is a history that I don't know, so o.k.

Bobbi: Do we know what percentage of parents actually make donations to the PAC from band, choir or orchestra?

Sue: We just have the list of donors that we put in the programs.

Bobbi: If we look at that number against the students in each area, is it 50%?

Jamin: When I was doing the concert program, I recognized a lot of the names on the donor list as parents of music students. I think the vast majority of the donors are parents of music students. If you want to track that we could do that going forward.

Erik: I think that the math is the other direction. How many families of band, choir, orchestra, theater students are donors? I would presume most of the people donating have a relationship to the programs. We can't expect 100%, but if less than half are donating, that's work for us to do. We can request and they give according to their abilities.

Jen: They may be happy to give.

Bobbi: If a substantial donation is too much, maybe the \$10.00 idea is ok. Maybe a raffle?

Sue: We have these categories on our web page and on Skyward when you pay your fees and we could add new categories for lesser amounts, perhaps.

Erik: Maybe one more at the lower end and you could snare 20-30 donations and have \$1,000.00. I see no reason to say no. This is an odd year and running a deficit this year would put the heat on us to raise more next year. A vibrant program is worth supporting.

Mike: In the 15 years we've had the PAC, I don't think we've had a balance this high by a magnitude of \$10-15,000 dollars. Historically at this point of the year, the group is in the \$5-10,000 range. I feel like we are in good shape and I was incredibly surprised. That we had almost 30,000.

Sue: The first year I was Treasurer, we were at \$5-10,000 left, but then we had the pandemic and we didn't spend a lot from 2020-2021.

Jen: That was important information. I vote yes. Is this enough of a group to make the vote?

Angie (In Chat): Exposure at every PAC Event. It'd be great to get parents, grand-parents, community members to help at sporting events, booster club, etc. (Read by Bobbi.)

Bobbi: We are starting to have the fishbowl at every event, now that we've learned how to be on the committee.

Sue: I vote yes. The money is there for the students.

All: Motion passes.

Mike: We will plan to bill out those items and request those funds from the foundation and Sue, we'll make sure Chris checks with you to approve them. Thank you for the support.

2) Band Update

a) WSMA State Solo & Ensemble-May 7, 2022

Mr. McDowell: It's not just the band that is going. We're taking Orchestra and Choir students to Solo & Ensemble. As many of you know the class A Solos that performed on March 12th, if you get a superior rating you qualify for the State Solo & Ensemble round. The kids did well this year. The percussion ensemble, the woodwind ensemble, the brass ensemble, our big band and two of our jazz ensembles all qualified for State, which is really exciting. Especially after not going or having virtual rounds last year and the year before. I'm really proud of the kids and it was nice to get an affirmation for our efforts. The judge worked with the kids and mostly in the theater and he had all sorts of really good things to say. We also got feedback from the professional judge in the band room. Overall it was a really positive day.

I'd also like Jamin and Trinny to jump in and let us know how the kids in the choral and orchestra side did.

Trinny: All my ensembles that were A ensembles qualified for state. We also have an adjudicator coming in on April 12th because a student couldn't be there for religious reasons. He will do a few more of those events, four more. Quite a few of my soloists are going to State on their solos. It was a great festival and after being off for a couple years and having it canceled the day before, I think it was a really great day and proud of my students and Nicolet Music dept.

Jamin: I did not take any large groups or ensembles. I had 8 students and 6 of those 7 who did class A solos qualified.

Mr. McDowell: It's good to get back to that live performance. There are always nerves and apprehension or excitement. That's part of the experience that we give kids, teaching them to

perform under pressure and teaching them to deal with some of those feelings. And the kids came through with shining colors. It was a good day.

Erik: Where is the State competition at?

Michael: State Solo & Ensemble is at Cardinal Stritch University on May 7th.

Jamin: I know the state festival director there and he is looking for volunteers. Would you like me to give that information to the PAC?

Bobbi: Sure.

Jamin: Get the word out.

b) Band Concert May 18th

Sue: Will we be having ice cream or something else?

Mike: I think we should let's do a Sundae bar following the performance. I know that's something we have budgeted for each year. I talked to Jen about that preliminarily in January or February. With Covid last year we had the ice cream cups. We'll buy a few gallons and scoop it out. I can work with Jen on that individually. Let's make sure we have those concessions there after the concert.

Jen: Do we know what the budget is for that? Sue, is that typically \$400.00?

Sue: We have extra money because Jen paid for half the other concessions.

c) New York Trip May 26th - 31st.

Michael: In the past I used to get a city pass, but with the pandemic, now all the museums, events, etc. require reservations. I've spent a lot of time making sure of the transportation, busing, hotel, concert and performance tickets. All the students will see Hades Town. Either half the students are going to see either MacBeth or a 3 hour Harry Potter play. We're going to see the Chamber Orchestra of New York, Birdland Jazz Club and wonderful places like the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Intrepid Air Space Museum. We'll take some historical tours on those ferry cruises that go around the islands. We'll see some skyscrapers.. It will be an exciting trip and I'm glad we can provide it for students in all of the areas, band, choir orchestra, theater. We'll be leaving by bus on Thursday afternoon, arriving Friday morning and spending 4 whirlwind days in the city, departing on Monday and arriving Tuesday after Memorial Day. Planning is coming along and I think we'll be set and ready to go. Laura and I are both looking forward to chaperoning this trip.

3) Choir Update

Trinny: We're very appreciative of everything and thank you for approving those extra expenses. Like Erik said, this is a good thing to have, these wonderful programs and everything and choir is just bursting at the seams this year, which is making me super happy. Right now our program has doubled from where it was last year and it's looking really promising for next year. It's great we can offer all these extra things to our students. These extra expenses for accompanists, Solo & Ensemble and other things are good problems to have. We're deeply appreciative for your support because we get to do what we love which is bring music to your kids.

a) We already talked about the May 7th Solo & Ensemble. On May 15th we are doing a Royal Tea where we invite little Princes and Princesses to come and sing along with our choir students. There are many advantages to this, but mostly my students got wind that I've done this in the past at other schools and they begged me to bring it here because it's a really fun event. The ticket sales are going up now. We decided at the beginning of the year that we wanted to do a choir community outreach, so we're raising money for Make-A-Wish Foundation. Students are mostly running everything. I will ask some choir parents for that day. They won't need a ticket to help bake treats, setup platters, etc. and get to see the show. A fun event, great for recruiting for my program and let people see something different from my department.

b) The North Shore Vocal Arts Day was a great day. We brought in six different schools and we had about 85 7th & 8th grade students doing a variety of workshops all around the vocal arts. Singing after having such a long time without doing it. Some of the middle school students weren't even singing last year yet. Lots of great feedback.

c) Our spring concert is May 25th. That's a Pops concert. It is themed around stage & screen. Oscar and Tony Award winning music.

Are there any questions?

No PAC volunteers needed. No program advertising. It's at Nicolet in the Cafeteria.
No banner or fishbowl because it's a charity event for Make-A-Wish.

Michael: This is a great community outreach project. Trinny has worked exceptionally hard all year. To see this group take form during one of our enrichment blocks shows how hard Trinny has worked at recruiting. She brings positive energy to all the programs. Congratulations Trinny on all the hard work this year.

Jamin: She's also been spending a lot of time with the partner schools and her freshman enrollment next year is higher than it's ever been.

4) Orchestra Update

Jamin: We've covered everything above. I'm in good shape. Thank you for all your support. We do this for the kids, but we could not do it without the parents, especially those of you who have been continuously active in this organization.

Sue: We'll coordinate with the donor lists and ads for the concerts.

Jamin: Since they are separate concerts, it will be a little more of a challenge. Michael's is first and then Trinny's and mine is last.

Michael: If we could coordinate by the first week in May that would be great.

Erik: If we set up the commercial pages strategically we could reuse them for all the events. I'd be happy to collaborate.

Discussion about coordinating the material sections.

5) Theater Update

- a) The Children's show April 23 & 24 has been moved back to the 30th & 31st.

Sue: I'll get in touch with Michael L and Katrina and see if they will be getting together with Ms. Anderle, since they are not here tonight.

- b) Student directed One Acts May 20th & 21st. We'll have the Liaisons reach out to Ms. Anderle on that as well.

6) Marketing Update

- a) I've reworked the ad brochure. (Showed on screen). Some new pictures. I've set it up so we can start pitching it now. Then we can pull the last three events off and there are prospective events for next year. It won't take much to fix it. Do we want to change any of the prices? Everyone thought no. Everyone liked it.

Erik: The single page I've put together as a resource, but we could use at other events. We have a one-pager with all our sponsors. I could use both sides, but this works. We have a header that matches our banner and our volunteer QR code and all of our ads. It can be printed quickly in color. It's available. Maybe we could just leave it out on the table with the ad brochure on the front and the sponsor info on the back.

Trinny: We could use this at the Royal Tea.

Erik: I'll turn it into a pdf. It's actually a Google Drawing.

Everyone: Looks great. Great job. I love it!

Erik: I'm going to email all our sponsors to see if they have a problem running their ads on our Facebook page. Then I will start dripping those out every couple days. 'Thank you to our sponsor Spolar Studio', etc. and load them all up and schedule them.

We know we've lost a concert and we want to acknowledge their support and have more eyes see these ads. I'll get it done before the next major performance.

7) Volunteers/Fundraising

Bobbi: This Friday we have a fundraiser at OhMyDog (Kabab Shack) again. They had originally thought we'd set up for once a month. This is our second trial. The first trial was a little weak because it was the same night as a rehearsal for the play and we didn't get a big turnout. They might have space as the weather warms for us to volunteer some students to play in the parking lot, but they don't really have an indoor space for that. It's really just takeout.

I can be there early and at the end. I will put out an email, but am asking for volunteers here first. Does anyone have an hour to give?

No one could.

Trinny: I will put out an email to the Tri-M students to see if there is anyone available to help on Friday. Send me any specific details.

Bobbi: Just that you're there to represent the music department and to ask for any donations.

The Brick was available to do another fundraiser and we got a nice amount of money from them and there was another date suggested. There was a suggestion that we don't want to tap them out and look at other businesses. I don't know the other businesses, but you might do better.

Sue: I will ask one of the other businesses.

Trinny: It may be hard to make a lot of money if it's a specialty business.

Erik: You can always ask.

Bobbi: I'm going to pursue the opportunity with the Brick. Sue mentioned she invited 2 new volunteers who signed up.

(They did not come to the meeting.)

Discussion about selling ads over the summer. A separate Marketing planning meeting will be set up. The new parents will be invited. Tuesday May 17th at 7 p.m.