



Nicolet Performing Arts Committee
Meeting Minutes
February 1, 2022

Attendees: Erik Kakulis, Sue Richards, Katrina Greguska, Bobbi Rector, Joe Patek, Jamin Hoffman, Michael Laoisa, Laura Dobrowits, Trinny Schumann, Jen Friedman, Greg Kabara, Michael McDowell

1) Finance Report

Sue reported investment income for Q4 of 2021 of \$721.53, which was better than the loss of \$6.74 the previous quarter. The returns from this investment company are not very smooth.

Erik: Where do we have these funds invested? Committees usually use a conservative place.

Sue: The company is called RJ Investment. I think it's the same one the Foundation uses. [I can find out more information for you.](#)

A payment was received from HoneyDew Improvements. Regarding the North Shore Library, the person who took out the ad no longer works at the North Shore Library, so I got a contact person named Heidi Muehlhausen. She asked us to send her an invoice and check if two other payments they had made to Nicolet were for the PAC. I checked and they were for other entities at Nicolet. I sent the invoice.

CopyMaster is an in-kind donation.

Expenses: All we had were the Orchestra post-concert pizza party which was \$206.87.

Investment fee for Q4 2021 was \$83.32.

This school year we've spent \$3,826.00 and made \$7,165. Funds are currently at \$32,382.00.

Dr. Kabara - Referendum

Quick Facts: The best thing to know is that Nicolet is moving forward with the facilities referendum question on April 5th, 2022. We are doing some significant remodeling to meet some of the needs for safety, building systems, and classroom renovations. One of the biggest areas we are looking at is Performing Arts. We are short one large group PA classroom. We have a band room and a shared choir/orchestra room with a digital music room adjacent to that.

In this proposed plan, the impact to this group is adding a separate band room, converting the current band room to an orchestra room and giving the choir students their own room. Also a recording studio for digital music, adding to our scene shop for theater. The detailed plans would be developed after the referendum, if successful. We have four listening sessions. Mr. Patek will share a handout with parents. 2/24 and 3/10 at 6 p.m. there are two virtual info sessions. If anyone is interested in touring the building in-person we will do that on 3/3 and 3/14 at 6:30 p.m. At the in-person sessions you could pop-in and see some broad picture plans and tour the building. You'll see that in the upcoming newsletter and parent updates. I can answer questions now if you have questions. There are a lot of other parts to the building renovations but I highlighted the parts that are most pertinent to this group at this time. Joe, is there anything I missed that we should talk about?

Bobbi: I was curious about the locker rooms and the pool. Any updates on these spaces?

Dr. Kabara: Another component of this is our physical ed and wellness spaces. Some indoor and outdoor. All of our locker rooms are original to the 1950s construction. All of those will be renovated as part of the project. Cleanliness, safety visibility and better security will be addressed. Swimming and the physical ed locker rooms are included in that plan.

Mr. Hoffman: I've been having classes in the theater this year and there are a few things I've noticed about the theater that are a challenge. I know specifics will be discussed at a later date. Things like lighting, it's really dark, even with the house lights up. Will you be addressing those things at a later date?

Dr. Kabara: All the specifics of the design are coming, but you can see on the map the areas of the building that have system-wide improvements. Heating, ventilating, electrical, air conditioning. Light renovation would include lighting, painting, carpeting. Those are all in different areas of the building. Another portion of this is light renovation as we look at the project, if everything is successful and we move forward. Once we get into details of costs, there may be room for flexing more dollars to accommodate things like that. That will be in the detailed plans which our architects are providing. What areas will be more lightly renovated and which more heavily renovated like our science rooms. Theater or cafeteria might be more of a light renovation, since they're in good shape but might need some items.

Sue: Does the school district still owe money for the athletic fields at Maslowski Park?

Dr. Kabara: The athletic fields at Maslowski Park have been paid for through the land sale. That was the original intent of the land sale. That project is complete. There is some money left from the land sale and that could be allocated to outdoor athletics as well to help finish some of the projects that we are working on in this phase.

Erik: The question I have is how can we help? You're talking to a dozen yes voters here, I believe and are preaching to the choir, no pun intended. How do we amplify the message that you would like to get out to vote for this. Obviously, every voter has to decide for themselves,

but advocacy is what the PAC does. You've sold us on the fact that the PA wing will get some awesome attention, what can we do?

Dr. Kabara : We just got done with the board workshop. Our role as administrators (Mr. Patek and Dr. Kabara) in the referendum process is fairly limited to providing facts to people. We can't be pro or anti-referendum, but we can provide facts to people. What I would suggest is that if you are interested in helping out with sharing facts and answering questions, reach out to me via email. The best way is to share information which we can provide. If someone is looking to advocate, it must be a parent group, separate from the school entity and resources. If I know of contacts doing this I will share those contacts with you. I am not aware of a group forming at this point, but if you are interested, reach out to me with your information. I can share that with board members. They can do a little bit more outside of their roles since they are not employees. They can connect you with people that they may know of in the community.

Erik: I believe we are unrestricted by some of those concerns. I believe that our charter indicates we should be out there getting out our pom-poms and going nuts. I will reach out to get some facts, specifically impact in dollars and cents to the PA wing. We want to say that this investment, beyond what we can do at the committee level, is what the community can do to promote arts at Nicolet . That message can get people to support the referendum.

Dr. Kabara: So just share some contact information with me and I will try to connect you with people that I know are forming any advocacy. Those groups do have to register with us if they are doing any kind of fundraising or political campaigning for or against. I will be able to pass that information on to them.

Erik: I think our role will likely be primarily in speaking our mind, but we have an opportunity, Before I further commit the PAC to this sort of activity, does anyone on the call have any concerns on how we would participate in that effort?

Bobbi: What are you thinking Erik?

Erik: I think at minimum we should use the tools we have as means of communication. Our social media, our email list to spread facts. We'd like the \$7 million to end up with the Performing Arts. We will discuss further. Our upcoming events may provide us with a venue to talk about it.

Dr. Kabara. Sharing the info is something parents can do. Advocacy is at a different level. We can't advocate one way or the other. Parent groups have a different level. I can connect you with our communications people about what parents can and can't do as a resource. Our website is out there and you can look at the original and refined proposals and what's out there.

Erik: We will share what we can say and I think this is in our scope of interest. Any concerns?

(No)

Marketing/PR

Erik: We now have access to the photography that Tom Medved and students have put together and their archive. We have the password to download images as needed. Our ad sales brochure can be refreshed with fresh photos. Any images that depict our students doing the awesome things that they do on stage and at concerts. We don't have to resort to stuff that we snap with our phones at performances. Done.

Bobbi: Regarding the ad brochure, I don't think we need to redo it until next year.

Erik: Having this resource will help us not rely on our phones. And we won't misuse images of people that don't want their pictures shared. There are lots of pictures in there that show what we do without having identifiable people in them.

Erik: What's not done? The banner. It's about a \$90.00 expense to get a 6x2 banner. I need to call Fast Signs to ask if we could work together and bring the cost down to little or none to create a 6x2 banner with our logo and 'Support your Performing Arts Committee'. I don't think we need much more information on it. A QR code would become out of date. The banner is just for visibility. We need some place to store it.

Sue: Do you think this is something students could do for us?

Erik: The only large format printer is down in the FEAR department and I'm not asking them now because they are in build mode. If we want this banner to stick well, it has to be printed on vinyl. Does the school have another wide format printer to print something like that?

Mr. Patek: Not that I know of, except for the one being used by FEAR.

Bobbi: I've been in that tech ed room and I was impressed with the material they had.

Mr. Patek: Currently they are printing with a type of material that is like the 'fathead' material. A stickum material. Once they are pulled off, it's not easily taken down and put back up. [Dr. Kabara showed one on his wall.]

Erik: We could put those on foam core, but I think it's worth asking the local business.

Jen: \$90.00 is a really good investment for the years we will be using this banner.

Erik: I could whip one up at Office Depot, and it will last forever if we don't hang it outside. It will outlast all of us. Could I get authorization to spend up to \$100.00?

Thumbs up.

Sue: The reason I asked was because I thought it would be a fun project for students to do.

Erik: Back to the list. The Donate form is on Revtrak but I don't think we can adjust that. The form has an area to put honorariums. We could rephrase it to include 'and intention of donation' or something like that. Who would I talk to about making a slight change on the form instructions?

Mr. Patek: Is that Nicole?

Dr. Kabara: I don't know if control has changed to Pat. I would start with Nicole.

Erik: Nicole who?

Mr. Patek: Last name is Nelson. If you send me an email I can get it to the right person.

Bobbi: Can we do a direct link so that people can donate directly?

Mr. Patek: That's been an ongoing conversation about 'what does a more direct link look like' in other areas like athletics. Right now, we're investigating Paypal, etc. to see what their and other tools look like. Some have tools just for schools. We'd hopefully have the capacity in the future or next few months.

Erik: Describes Revtrak.

Sue: Any system has to be payment card industry compliant if you're going to accept credit cards.

Erik: Is there any value to us? Is this a barrier?

Sue: It's not used often. You can also add a fee in Skyward so you can support PAC and that payment also takes you to Revtrak.

Erik: This is a nice form.

Bobbi: Can I see what this looks like?

Erik: It's <https://nicolet.revtrak.net/theatre/>. [Erik shares form and shows Donate button on our normal web page.] I don't think it's a barrier.

Erik: **Program insert-** I talked to Matt this afternoon. He is well underway and we'll be getting something to approve later this week. He may still have some gaps in it. [Was waiting on North Shore Library Payment.]

Single-Page advertiser recognition: He will work on that when done with the program insert.

Slideshow: I will work on the slideshow and reach out to Nate to see about getting it up on the tv screens in time for the show.

All these things should get done in the next week or so. I've got more time now from other obligations.

Bobbi: What is the single page advertiser recognition?

Erik: Last time we discussed how to get more impressions out for our advertisers. Especially if a show gets canceled and the work we put into the insert becomes recycling paper instantly. Something to send to other forums to thank people for their support. Basically, take all the ads and put them on one page.

Bobbi: Like the church bulletin.

Erik: Right. We'll have a template in place for coming years, if we need to use it.

Bobbi: That was the one we were sending to parents on email.

Erik: I've been putting together a calendar of Facebook posts on our Facebook page that would drip out to recognize our supporters. Should I be emailing them for permission to put their ads on our Facebook feed? Are there any concerns?

Bobbi: I think they would appreciate that.

Sue: Right, some people are adverse to Facebook, so we don't want to anger them.

Erik: I'm sure most will be supportive of that, but they have the right of refusal. Ok, I will take our spreadsheet of supporters and contact them.

Sue: Thank you Erik and we do realize you only had 3 weeks between meetings, (due to moving to the first Tuesday of the month) and we understand the time frame was shorter.

Winter Play

Bobbi: Let's talk about when the Program Insert will be ready and who is going to get it printed and pick it up.

Erik: The drop should be ready by 2/4 for review. It will probably be ready for printing next week. We can send it electronically. Who will pick up?

Bobbi: I did and I'm happy to pick it up.

Sue: I just wanted confirmation from the administrators that the play won't be canceled before we print it.

Mr. Patek: There are no intentions of canceling unless there is some miraculous act of Covid in the next three weeks. We've had only 1-3 student cases in the last 3 weeks.

Michael Laisoa: I had a question about expected occupancy for ticket sales. Are we still going to have 2-3 seats of space between people? Has that decision been made yet?

Mr. Patek: I think we still want to strive for that as much as we can. That's trying to maintain the current recommendation. It also bears monitoring over the next few weeks. If the recommendation from the health department changes, we can change, but for now we should try to keep 2 seats between.

Michael: So that opens up the issue that we really have to get the advance ticket sales advertised as well as possible. The spring musical is well attended compared to fall. I will consult Ms. Anderle. We will probably sell out every performance if we have that requirement. We have to be proactive about providing that information for people so they can get their tickets as soon as they can.

Dr. Kabara: I have a call in with the health department. If you want to put together a proposal (families sit together, masks), I can give them that and they can give us the green light and broader guidelines given the data, especially in three weeks when it's changed. We're not limiting anything for athletic events, but requiring masking, so they may be o.k. With us allowing more capacity.

Michael: I'll connect with Laura about that and Trinny and Mike (McDowell) as well may want to participate in that conversation. Then we can go from there and provide that information to you for when you meet with the North Shore Health Department.

Mr. Patek: I think that's a great plan.

Bobbi: I have a task for ordering rehearsal food. Is that all taken care of by Ms. Anderle?

Michael L: She organizes it and she'll ask us for reimbursement. I'll touch base with her about all of those issues.

Sue: For the fall play I organized the Sign-Up Genius and ordered the subs and paid for them and got reimbursed, so I don't know if the spring play is different, because usually we have to get all the food together, but check with her.

Bobbi: I will put your name on this, Michael. There are two rehearsal dates, 3/13 and 3/20. If you could be in touch with us regarding this, please.

Michael: My apologies to Katrina. I will respond to your email about helping out, so I will connect with you as well. We don't want to duplicate each other's work, but complement it.

Bobbi: We're not having concessions, correct?

Michael: We did concessions for the fall play.

Mr. Patek: We'd be ok for concessions.

Sue: Ms. Anderle had theater students do the concessions. It wasn't PAC.

Michael will check on that with Ms. Anderle. Thank you.

Sue: We found that there are no rights to record or stream the play in case of dire circumstances

Erik: To return to the insert. Does anyone recall the lead time Copymaster needs to get it printed?

Bobbi: I think I gave it to them on Monday or Tuesday and picked it up on Thursday.

Erik: So, conservatively, 5 days.

Erik will put together a mini-calendar for the production.

It was decided that this is the schedule of PAC spokespersons at the play:

Thursday, 2/24 Erik Kakulis

Friday, 2/25 Jen Friedman

Saturday, 2/26 Sue Richards

Sunday, 2/27 Katrina Greguska

Alternate: Michael Laiosa

Erik will send a script to read to these volunteers. Thank you!

Nicolet PAC Members gmail list

Sue: Sue explained that having to paste in a lot of email addresses takes time and she showed where in gmail settings she can send a code to someone who accepts it. Then she sets up a filter for that person. Then anyone who wants to communicate to all the PAC members can send an email to nicoletpacmembers@gmail.com and that mailbox will forward it. It's a way that everyone can communicate with everyone. Perhaps it's just an impossible dream. Sue will send a code to the new members.

Erik: Is this just for us and not a broader group of people? Committee Business?

Sue: Yes. Maybe next year you can use it. It currently goes to ½ the members who accepted the code invitation.

Combined Concert - Band Choir and Orchestra

Mr. McDowell: We are planning for our showcase concert on March 10th. Instead of having a reception following, I think it might make sense to have a reception during intermission. After looking at the amount of pieces in the program, it makes sense to have a break half-way through. It would give the Performing Arts Committee a great opportunity to reach out and contact folks. It might be a nice opportunity to raise some funds. The Tri-M students are always looking for service hours. You can get some students to man the concessions booth. That would give them their volunteer hours. It would also be a great way to give the students in the Jazz Combos a chance to play during intermission. So, instead of holding people after the concert, an intermission during the middle would be the best way to accomplish all of those goals. Jamin, did you have anything to share with us about the concert?

Mr. Hoffman: I have yet to nail down my repertoire yet. We are planning on doing one piece with band/choir/orchestra combined. I'm working on another piece with choir plus strings. Michael there are wind parts we can add to that. They are not particularly challenging. Like Michael said, once we get the repertoire fully decided, it will be much easier to figure out where we are going to put the break so it all fits in the evening program.

Mr. McDowell: So what do we think? Is selling refreshments or concessions during intermission the way to go?

Bobbi: It sounds fine. (All thumbs up.)

Mr. McDowell: We will probably need to get to work on that before the next meeting. We're going to be on a tight schedule. This concert is always a good chance to showcase the music we will be taking to the District Solo & Ensemble competition which this year will be at Homestead High School on 3/12. John Emmanuelson, the Orchestra Director at Homestead High School is the communication lead on this event and has been in contact with us. We will be registering our events in the next week or two. He has not said anything about outreach for parent volunteers yet. As soon as we get information on that, Jamin, Trinny and I will forward it to the parents of students who will be at the event that day from our email groups.

In terms of getting the volunteers or the concessions taken care of, do we want to purchase cookies, soda or a bake sale? Maybe someone can pick up a couple of cookie platters. Some bottled water or soft drinks. Easy cleanup.

Bobbi: Do we need to bag those cookies ahead of time?

Mr. Patek: I think we can back off that, based on the latest guidance. They've backed off on other concession stands, so I think we're o.k. not doing that.

Bobbi: We'll need some sort of serving utensils.

Mr. McDowell: Jen, would you be willing to help me out with that.

Jen: Sure (March 10th)

Mr. McDowell: Let's work together on getting some refreshments for that together. We'll reach out to Trinny to get some student volunteers from the Tri-M Music Honor Society for the concession stand. I will reach out to you sometime this week.

Dr. Kabara: Michael, Trinny has a whole new group of Tri-M that has just been inducted tonight.

Sue: Trinny also sent an email that she wanted to coordinate some musicians for the Brick Fundraiser.

Bobbi: We can't. It's the day they have their live music.

Sue: I will tell her no.

Bobbi: Maybe we can talk to them about another night?

Sue: Her other question was about funding the Accompanists for Solo & Ensemble. We've done that in the past and I don't see a problem with it. Are there any objections?

No.

7) Volunteer Coordinator

Bobbi: The Brick Fundraiser on 3/16 from 5-9 p.m. I thought we should have volunteers at the table. Two 2-hour shifts. Talk about what we do and hand out a brochure with the Revtrak address on it. Should we get some Tri-M students for service hours?

Erik: We could create a QR code for the Revtrak address to donate. I'll create one and test it out on the phone.

Bobbi: Wonderful. So we'll have the banner, a donation box and a QR code for them. I will talk to Trinny about the Tri-M students. What are your thoughts about having the students at the table instead of parents? It would be an opportunity to recruit parent volunteers.

Mr. Hoffman: It's o.k. To have a mix. Parents can speak better to questions that may arise.

Bobbi: Is there anyone who can volunteer.

Sue: I can volunteer.

Katrina: I can volunteer, but I don't know a lot.

Bobbi: You have to start somewhere.

Jen and Bobbi: This is Porum. We'll have to recruit somebody else. Bobbi can possibly do the first hour.

Bobbi: Erik put the ad for the Brick on the PAC Facebook page. It's already in the weekly email from school. Teachers will email it to parents sometime before 3/16. Bobbi will email a reminder to the teachers.

Bobbi: Can we get another Fundraiser? Oh My Dog has been helping the FEAR team. Is anyone opposed to setting up a second with them? It's up near Brown Deer road in Bayside.

Sue: What is it?

Bobbi: It's a middle eastern place. They also have hot dogs and other items. Maybe students could play there? I think it's mostly a carryout place. I will find out.

Bobbi: Parent 101 - If we have the QR code for volunteers and the QR code for Revtrak, it would be great.

Mr. Patek: I gave you the wrong date last month. It is March 9th. I will own that mistake.

Bobbi: It will be a really busy couple of weeks. How much time do we have?

Mr. Patek: You just get a few minutes. Maybe you can recruit new people or people who have kids currently at Nicolet.

Bobbi: What time?

Mr. Patek: We do not have the schedule laid out yet. It starts at 6:00 p.m. and lasts about a half hour. 30-40 minutes.

Bobbi: Is there anyone interested in being the representative?

Erik: Busy. I will put two QR codes on the What we Do half-sheet with Donate/Volunteer options. We can use it at the Brick, Parent 101, the Play table etc.

Bobbi: I will do it unless anyone else volunteers.

Mr. Patek: I'm happy to do it also.

8) Other Business

