



Nicolet Performing Arts Committee  
Meeting Minutes  
January 11, 2022

Attendees:

Erik Kakulis, Sue Richards, Jamin Hoffman, Bobbi Rector, Katrina Greguska, Michael McDowell, Leslie Krueger, Jen Friedman, Jamie Karan

1) Mr. Hoffman

This first section is a discussion with Mr. Hoffman because this meeting conflicts with another meeting he has on Tuesdays.

Mr. Hoffman: I don't have anything vital today. I'd like to thank Laura Dobrowits today. She got everything set up for the post-concert snacks and it all went very well. I really appreciate her help with all of that.

There is nothing for Orchestra until our March concert. We are working on the details for that. Everything looks fine as far as I'm concerned.

2) Doodle Poll

Sue: The results of the Doodle poll showed that Tuesday is still the best night to hold our monthly meeting and the first or third week of the month would be the best week. 9 respondents.

Mr. McDowell: Jamin is your schedule for Concord always the 2nd Tuesday of the month?

Mr. Hoffman Yes it is.

Mr. McDowell. Is there anyone here tonight who has a preference for either?

3 participants said either one works.

Sue: I thought that the first Tuesday would be the best for the upcoming school year, so that the PAC could meet earlier in September and the new people on the committee could get a jump

start on selling ads and do other things if they met earlier. It would be right after Labor Day in September.

Bobbi: I agree. But I think that the ads sales should start even earlier.

Mr. McDowell. Absolutely.

Bobbi: I think the ad sales group should be set up by the end of the year with a clear cut idea of where they need to go and what they need to do so we come back to school not in a rush.

Erik: Yes and with a well-vetted picnic schedule for the summer. I'm joking, but it makes sense to send off a team at the end of each year with an understanding and an expectation ( don't waste all summer).

Bobbi: A lot of people are gone in August, but I think they should be able to workaroud it. Even if they don't reach out for ads until September, they should know ahead of time.

Mr. McDowell. Great points.

Erik: I will motion to switch to the first Tuesday.

Sue: I will second it. All in favor. All had ayes.

Sue: Motion passed.

The next meeting will be Tuesday, February 1st, 2022. The meetings will move back to 7:00 p.m.

Mr. McDowell. Sue would you please notify Nate Brooks, as well as Heather Polenske of the change so Mr. Patek's schedule is changed. And the web site.

Jamie Karan joined the meeting and introduced herself and her son's interests.

### 3) Finance Report

Sue reported a few new donations, \$100.00, \$50.00. Our total donations are at \$3,900.00.

Ad Sales: We received a new ad from Sorin Dental. The payment for Shorewest was found in the PTSO mailbox. We're still missing an ad payment from the Northshore Library. She will send them a reminder. We do often get payments some weeks later.

Erik: We discussed the Neidorfler donation in recognition of the Vu Family and I recommend that the recognition can be put in a line in the donations list. If we get a flush of recognitions we could have a separate area, but we haven't had that happen yet.

Bobbi: That could encourage people to participate in donations if they can leave recognitions.

Sue: The pdf form on our web page doesn't have an area for that so it would need changing.

Erik: I will check if the Donate button form on Revtrak has an area for that or can have one.

Sue: A thought that if we get more of these, we don't want to alienate students whose parents can't donate.

Bobbi: We could have a spot or a check box that says 'in recognition of the entire band', etc.

Sue: We had no expenses submitted since last month, so the total is still \$3,535.00. Currently our balance is \$31,826.00

Bobbi: The Brick fundraiser date needs to be switched because of the combined concert.

#### 4) Marketing/PR

##### a) Graphic Artist

Erik: Matt Kuhlman, the new artist volunteer is actually my neighbor. He is a free-lance artist, painter. He has accepted the challenge to put together our next flyer. He seems easy to work with and we have given him the drive access and instructions to get going. We just received the program covers for 'Something Rotten'. I will check in on him to see how it is going. He has a couple of weeks to work on it, so if we get any more ads, I'm sure we can get those put in. I think we can rely on Matt to get it done.

He has 2 young boys and he could be working for the PAC for the next 10 years.

##### b) Ad Cancellation Policy

Erik: One of our latest sponsors was asking what happens when events are canceled. We tentatively told them that we would explore some future runs into the next year or something like that. They said they weren't looking for a refund. (Canceled Band Concert).

We should as a committee agree on how we compensate supporters when the ad impressions that are part of the deal don't occur. I think that extending their run into the next year or the possibility that they are buying it for a year and if they buy the last concert of the season they will get a whole year's worth into next year. That would allow for people to support us at any time and get the same value for their support. We would need to put an expiration date on their support. That is measurable and fair. Renewable at any time. That avoids us having to adjust or pro-rate our prices. We can't predict what will happen with the shows.

Bobbi: I like that idea.

Erik: I'll add that to our workflow. The ads purchased earlier this year are good for the year.

Sue: I'm wondering if we could apply that to donation recognitions. If they donate in the spring, run them through to the next spring.

Mr. McDowell: I'm not sure how many people are donating to see their name in a list.

Erik: Right. The ads carry with them that value of 6 or 7,000 impressions.

Bobbi: It has to be clear in the literature which needs updating.

Mr. McDowell: Perhaps there is a solution to streamline this issue. When the instructors send out mass emails, perhaps we can attach the pdfs. Even if people don't attend the performances, we will be including those ads. And if we do need to cancel, unfortunately. I will be sending out communication to all the band parents to get volunteers for Solo & Ensemble on the 28th if that can take place. We can include those ads as part of the messages.

My concern about putting calendar dates on the ads and guaranteeing a full calendar year is that it will become a tracking challenge for those who take over the ad sales in years to come and I don't want to run into any contractual issues or develop bad feelings because we are making promises that may fall through the cracks as personnel change from year to year.

Erik and Bobbi: Good point.

Erik: The other thing I was going to mention would be to find other ways to generate those impressions. Sending out with your email probably covers 80% of the people we would expect to see at an event. There may be some other places that we could get the messages out from our sponsors. That requires more exploration. Getting it onto the email, especially the email canceling the event, is a first step. Let's do this. We don't need to nail this down right away, but there are some options here.

Bobbi: So far the play is in person. Mr. McDowell could send out the insert to parents, but if we also have to deal with this regarding the play, we have 2 performances to make up for. Do we know what the plan is for the play if something changes?

Mr. McDowell: We don't know exactly what that would look like, but we would try to find some place to showcase all the students' work. Last year we created a video with Mike and Tom's help from the Tech Ed Department. Last fall with Antigone we had a video production as well. If we were to include those ad sales as part of sponsors and embed those in the video that would probably work.

Erik: If it's recorded we could edit that in. If live stream we would have to prepare it ahead of time. One thing we should do is get an email thread going between the instructors and core persons on the musical team so we can anticipate whatever scenarios occur.

Mr. McDowell: In my 25 years of teaching I have only canceled two performances. I hope the track record holds up.

Sue: Is it possible to put some ads on our Facebook page or web site for recognition?

Erik: I can do that on our Facebook page easily, perhaps one at a time, rotating them. Our Facebook page does not have an impressive number of followers. The ads might drive some likes back to our site. I would communicate with our supporters to let them know that is happening.

Bobbi; I was wondering if on the weekly Nicolet Newsletter when the play is advertised, we could get a link to click and view the sponsors.

Sue: When I go to church I get a weekly bulletin and on the back of that are all the advertisers every week. Can we do something like that, that the instructors can send with their emails?

Erik: We could ask Matt to put together a single page version of that, like what is on the back of the church bulletins. Our Glendale newsletter is run by the same people. I will work with Matt to package that up because I'm not certain when we will need it and have it ready to go.

I will put together a calendar for a view of Facebook posts. What I would likely do is set it up and schedule the posts to show one at a time.

Perhaps all this thought about forward impression will be less of an issue.

Mr. McDowell: That's great Erik. I'm really happy to include those ads with the emails that pertain to performances and volunteer opportunities.

Erik: Bobbi, the current flyer has current prices, but the pictures are two years old. Can the school photographer share with us?

Mr. McDowell: Reach out to Tom Medved, our photography instructor and all the pictures go through him.

Mr. Patek: There is also a public web site they are posted on, depending on the event.  
<http://www.nicoletphoto.com>

Mr. McDowell: We want to make sure the students on the Do Not Publish list are already not included.

Mr. Patek: Yes, they are not included.

(Discussion about pictures, videos, professional photographs.) Erik will reach out to Tom.

Bobbi: That brochure will need to change if we are selling throughout the year.

Erik: We will have to put a section in about our cancellation policy during the year. We will need to refine that and discuss at the next meeting. I will update the brochure and send it out.

Sue: Let's have a meeting outside of this group.

Erik: Summarizes the topic just discussed.

#### c) Banner

Erik: Regarding a banner to put up in the auditorium. There is someone who could print those in school, but it's the FEAR design & build season. Office Depot could get us the 6 ft range for 80.00 bucks. I could send out a proof. Non year- specific.

Bobbi: Would the Fast Signs in Glendale give us a discount?

Erik: Perhaps if they put their logo on the edge. Perhaps an in-kind donation.

Sue: Does CopyMaster do banners? They give us a discount on our printing.

Erik: Fast Signs is a Glendale business.

Bobbi: Jen what have you used for banners?

Jen: Mandel Printing. Going with a Glendale business is a great idea.

Erik: DPI perhaps? I'll ask around.

Katrina: DPI may have changed their name to OnCourse.

Bobbi: It's called Brilliant DPI on Sidney Place.

Erik: They have printed monsters for other projects I've done in the past.

We need 6-7 feet wide by 2 ft wide. Thanks for looking that up.

#### d) Middle School Outreach Letter

Erik: I have cleaned it up and will send out the link for comments. How do we utilize this Michael?

Mr. McDowell: We will send the link or the pdf to our middle school colleagues and they will send them out to the parents. Our partner schools do not provide us with contact information. We'll send it to them and they can forward it along.

Erik: Schedule on that?

Mr. McDowell. I am in contact with 8th graders in January/early February since that is when they are registering for HS classes, so I will send it out in the next few weeks.

Mr. Patek: Enrollment is 198 as of yesterday. Scheduling starts with the counselors right after assessment week. That starts the first week of February so that letter should coincide right with that time frame.

Erik; That gives us one week to get it out with edits. I'll get that sent out and once done send to Mr. McDowell and he can send out the pdf. I'll add the latest QR code.

5) Winter Play - Something Rotten 2/24 - 2/27

a) Ticket Sales/Volunteers

Sue: Mike Laisoa sent an email saying it is under control for ticket sales. Angie Biersach sent an email that she is happy to volunteer again.

b) Program Insert & Shout-outs

Sue: We already talked about the shout-outs, program inserts, deadlines above.

6) Combined Concert: Band, Choir and Orchestra - March 10th

Mr. McDowell: We are going to prepare it, plan for it, like it will happen for certain. The concert will be a showcase of repertoire for the Solo & Ensemble the following Saturday. Jamin, Trinny and I have also discussed an order of repertoire for a joint piece at the conclusion of the concert. Also we discussed putting some of the repertoire that we missed at the canceled concert.

a) Reception

I also had an idea of creating some kind of a reception ahead of the concert, a refreshment or cocktail type hour to feature our jazz groups. We've got all of the combo groups that will be performing at Solo & Ensemble the following Saturday. We'll have between half an hour - 45 minutes of repertoire from those groups. Putting those on the actual concert would make the concert longer. In the past I've had that as a pre-concert. I don't know if we want to put anything more on our plate before that in terms of a reception or refreshment time beforehand, but that would be a nice venue if someone wants to tackle that.

Erik: I will assemble a slide show for March 10th thanking our supporters. I would like to see if it can be on our tv monitors and the auditorium projector. I will look into it. Another way to take care of the supporter issue.

Mr. McDowell: The reception idea is one I am tossing around right now, I don't know if we need to work on the logistics right now. It would be a yes/no if someone would be willing to do it. Cheese, crackers, fruit platter, considering food service with Covid.

Bobbi: Where would it occur?

Mr. McDowell.: In the foyer, the ensemble setup in the art display area. Tables on the serving counter or around that area. We wouldn't move people to the other parts of the buildings.

Jen: Let's hold until the next meeting seeing where the covid numbers are.

Sue: We could find a few volunteers to work together on it.

Mr. McDowell: Do we have a beer/liquor license like the foundation has had in the past?

#### b) Senior Shout-Outs

Sue: Should we table senior shout-outs for a few months?

Mr. McDowell.: Jamin, Trinny and I are going to recognize seniors at the spring concert, so we should talk about it in March or April.

Katrina: Theater Seniors get a bio in the program It talks about their future and the plays they've done.

Mr. McDowell. There is a Thespian society annual banquet in the spring where they are awarded and recognized also.

#### 7) Gmail List

Sue: Gmail list - tabled until next meeting. Perhaps we will have more people.

#### 8) Volunteer Coordinator

##### a) Mass Pep Band Event 1/28/22

Mr. McDowell: I have not communicated to Jen. Dr. Kabara is meeting with the other superintendents at our 3 feeder districts to discuss the Mass Pep band and other events. A lot of other things have been put on hold. Greg is going to try to see if this can happen. I have suggested the middle schools send out a save the date. I have to hear if this is actually a go, then I will communicate with Jen and we can make sure of volunteers. We have the sign-up genius ready to go.

Jen: I think the biggest issue is the food issue. Can the event be modified where there is no food served at the end? Eat a snack before you come.

Mr. McDowell. Food facilitates social time. I've planned to move to the cafeteria so we can spread out. Food could be served in side rooms where kids would eat with groups from their different middle schools. So it won't be accomplishing a big mixer. Let's see how the meeting goes and it may be a moot point. I will let you know on Thursday morning.



b) District Solo & Ensemble Festival

The S&E is a go and Mrs. Emmanuel at Shorewood will be coordinating the volunteers. I have a form setup to send out for AM/PM timing and student activity so they can see their kids perform. We will compile a list and will make that happen with an email. The date is March 12th. It may be moved to the 2nd weekend of March due to spring break.

c) Parent 101

Mr. Patek: 3 straight days with decreasing case levels students 14-21. I'm optimistic.

Joe: Parent 101 is going on right now. The next one is January 26, virtually. There are two more after that in February and March. In August we have another, the big kick-off right before school starts with our peer mentors the week before school starts.

Bobbi: I don't think we want to wait until August because we want to get set with our advertising and volunteers set before the end of the year. What were the other dates?

Joe: There is one January 26th largely focused on scheduling. The March 17th one gets into the activities. So PAC, MEPA, PTSO and everyone would be able to get in front of people if they are in-person. It is a brief presentation.

9) Other Business

(Discussion about volunteers disappearing during the pandemic and reaching out to public and private area feeder schools) Good question Katrina.

