



Nicolet Performing Arts Committee
Meeting Minutes
December 14, 2021

Attendees: Katrina Greguska, Jamin Hoffman, Michael McDowell, Susan Richards, Bobbi Rector, Laura Dobrowitz , Joseph Patek, Jen Friedman, Natalie Hanson

This first section is a discussion with Mr. Hoffman because this meeting conflicts with another meeting he has on Tuesdays.

Mr. Hoffman: With Covid going on it may be better to put off the parent get-togethers after the Orchestra and Band Concerts until Spring.

Mr. McDowell: I made those QR codes with the sign up forms to get more information for volunteers for the PAC and solo and ensemble. Were you able to put those in your program?

Mr. Hoffman: No, I was not.

Mr. McDowell: I know that Erik talked about putting together a flyer with the QR code in it.

Bobbi: Trinny did. She has info for contribution, solo and ensemble, graphic designer volunteer.

Mr. McDowell: We had talked at the last meeting about getting people to sign up for the PAC positions or just getting involved in general. I created the forms and shared it with Trinny and will have it in mine as well. It goes to the instructors. Erik has it as well. We will pass along the information to the Performing Arts Committee.

Bobbi: I came in late, was the conversation about Parent 101, or about a parent get-together?

Mr. Hoffman: That was my question. I knew we were going to discuss that at this meeting and did not want to say definitely if it was happening or not until I knew. Since my concert is Thursday, I have a limited amount of time to get this email out to parents if we decide to have it happen. I would not mind printing up additional programs with Michael's QR code. If they scan the QR code, where does it take them?

Mr. McDowell: I created a form specific to the PAC and it goes to a google form and I shared it with you and Trinny and Erik before the Choir concert. It's a three question form which asks for an email address and has check boxes: I would like more info or I would like to join the PAC. The final question is: I have graphic design experience and I would like to help with program creation. Sign me up.

Sue displays the flyer that Erik created with the QR code that goes to the form Mr. McDowell created.

Sue: I may have a volunteer for the graphic designer position. A man walked into my driveway last Sunday with his two 3-4 year olds and asked if I needed any house painting done. He gave me his card which said nothing about house painting, but it did say 'artist', 'writer', 'journalist'. I emailed him Monday and asked if he wanted to volunteer in exchange for an ad in the program insert. He said sure and he could find an old version of Adobe In-Design. His name is Matt Kuhlman.

Mr. McDowell: Great, that was pro-active. Thank you for doing that. We still will look for parents that have these skills so we can include them in the organization.

Sue: We can give him a try and see, if we don't get any parent volunteers.

Bobbi: Where does the QR code for the contribution go?

Mr. McDowell: That takes everyone to the PAC page within the Nicolet page. If you scan it with your phone you can see where it takes you to. The purpose was to streamline. I'm going to present those during the concert to give the students a rest during the performance.

Back to Jamin. Does anyone feel it's necessary to have a parent meeting after the concerts?

Jamin: The plan was to each have a meeting after our concerts. But the March timeframe might be better.

Mr. McDowell: I think at the last meeting we decided that in lieu of these meetings we were actually going to take time during the concert to do this and that's why I created the QR codes so everyone would have a chance to respond.

Mr. Hoffman. I can prepare a one page flyer that goes inside my programs and it's rather too late to organize a get-together with finger foods, etc.

Bobbi: Erik did make the announcement at the choir concert and he did ask that people volunteering get in contact with other volunteers and I thought, how are people going to know who the other volunteers are? I suggest that people stand up if they are volunteers and the audience can recognize who is in the committee and they can talk to us.

Mr. McDowell: That is a great idea.

Mr. Hoffman: I will do that as well.

Laura: We will find someone who can read the speech at the orchestra concert.

Mr. H: The best time to do that is when the orchestra groups are changing places.

Sue: Before you go Mr. Hoffman, should we do a doodle poll to see if a different night of the week or day of the month is better, so this meeting doesn't conflict with your other meeting?

Mr. Hoffman: Yes, that is a good idea.

Sue: I will set one up.

Agenda

1. Introductions - Everyone introduced themselves.
2. Finance Report

Sue shared the Finance report. Revenue to date this school year: \$5318.00. There are still 5 outstanding ads that haven't been paid yet. We are still waiting for Shorewest, Fitness Advantage, Honeydew Improvements and North Shore Library. (Bobbie said Shorewest should have been received a long time ago. Sue will check into that.) Payment for a new ad should be in the mailbox. Sue will check.) Two more donations of \$150.00. Investment Income, a \$6.74 loss.

Expenses to date this school year: The only thing new since November is that we were charged an \$80.57 fee to lose our money by the investment firm. So far we've spent \$3,535.

We began with \$29,043, spent \$3535, received \$5318 and we're at 30,826.

3. Winter Concerts

Sue: Choir concert is over, Orchestra concert is this week. I have a question about the Band concert. On the Nicolet calendar it says the Band concert is at 7:00 p.m. but the email sent out said 6:00 p.m.

Mr. McDowell: I thought it was listed at 6. I try to be consistent.

Sue: When I looked at it Sunday as I was signing it up on the Bayshore Community calendar I put a link to it and it said 7-9. (As of 12/19 check it is now 6-8.)

Mr. McDowell: I think the community calendar should be changed to 6.

Sue: I don't think it's out there yet as it takes a few days to post, but I will change it.

Mr. McDowell: Did all the band parents get the email?

Sue and Bobbi: I received 2. I received 3.

Mr. McDowell: That's because your sons are in more than one ensemble. The email system does that because of the Skyward class schedule.

Bobbi: I kept checking the email because I thought there was an adjustment.

Mr. McDowell: The choir concert was last week. Trinny and I collaborated on the program so it would be consistent. The messaging pertaining to the PAC was included. The sign-up piece reached out to family and friends that were in attendance. I streamlined the registration form to get email info, names, ask for more info or sign-up to join the group. Also, it had that a graphic designer is needed.

The second piece was on the bottom of the list of donors. I included the QR code so that anyone who wanted to donate after seeing the great long list could do it right from their seats.

We'll invite people to do that. And the music department also wanted everyone to know about the District Solo and Ensemble Festival coming up on March 12th. We'll compile a list of names of volunteers. We didn't want to do that with the PAC sign-up genius because we will take the list of volunteers and send it over to the festival managers at Homestead High School. (It goes to a google sheet instead.) They will decide where to put people. I have a few more questions on the form so we will know what area to put people in so they can see their children perform and whether they prefer morning or afternoon. We don't know what the schedule will look like until a week before the show.

Jen: When you say form, did you need to be at the concert to see this?

Mr. McDowell: When I say form, I mean Google form which I created. I need to share that with you Jen, so you can see it. It's easy to organize and use. In addition to the two forms, PAC and department-wide, I created two additional forms specific to the band program and those two sign-up forms are going to be QR coded again. One will be for the pizza party at the Mass Band event coming up on 1/28 and the other will be to sign up to help out at the reception following the Spring concert. Jen, I will share those with you as a collaborator so you can have all that information.

Bobbi: We already created a sign-up genius for the pizza party. Should we not be doing that? Should we go with your google form?

Mr. McDowell: When I've used Sign-up Genius forms, I've used them to assign people to specific tasks and times and since we haven't done that planning yet, I just wanted to get a list of names and then we can assign parents. We need a parent to organize that and Jen I hope you're going to take the lead on that. We just need to figure out the list of tasks which will be getting the number of students, ordering the pizza and soda, arranging for drop-off and then arranging for service and clean-up at that event.

Jen: Bobbi, isn't that what we did?

Bobbi: We did.

Mr. McDowell: Great. I'm sorry, I haven't seen the Sign-up Genius yet.

Jen: Bobbi, please forward that to Mr. McDowell so he can see it?

Mr. McDowell: Great. Then I will remove the form that I have.

Jen: Take a look at it first to see if you like it.

Bobbi: I'm afraid we're duplicating efforts, not knowing what you do, Mr. McDowell, and not knowing what the liaison does and trying to be overall coordinator.

Bobbi: I want to introduce Natalie. We created our own list of what a Volunteer Coordinator might do and we combined it with Sue's calendar of budget requests so we have all the events over the year.

Sue shared Bobbi's sheet.

Bobbi: I want everyone to take a look at it and see if it makes sense. The group reviewed the Volunteer Coordinator Calendar at [📅 Volunteer Coordinator Calendar](#)

Mr. McDowell adjusted the time from 6 to 5 for Mass Pep Band and adjusted the names of two items. Bobbi removed the Orchestra post concert volunteer recruit meeting.

Mr. Patek: We're still debating about the Parent 101 schedule, but it will depend on how the holiday season results in Covid cases.

Bobbi: Sue, do you coordinate volunteers for Parent 101?

Sue: We have not had it in a few years due to Covid.

Mr. Patek: We're reinventing as we go, but it will be like a short sales pitch informing parents what PAC does, who they support, and should invite parents to start thinking about how they

can get involved. You may get a handful of members out of it, but we have to talk about doing it again in August to get it in front of people who may not have heard it at the January date. Then they are hearing it multiple times to connect instead of just once in January.

Jen: Can you make an outreach to the middle school band/orchestra teachers ahead of time so we can start communicating with those parents. Going from middle school to high school is such a great way to immediately get parents involved in the community. A reverse outreach instead of waiting for them to come to us, versus us reaching out to them.

Mr McDowell: That makes sense. I have already been to the middle schools back in November. The way we manage communication with middle school parents is that I draft a letter to the middle school directors. They don't share the parent information with us. If we want to do that outreach, I will be happy to forward a letter that the PAC can draft to the band, choir, orchestra and theater directors at the middle schools.

Jen: Please put the QR code on there so they can sign up.

Mr. McDowell: I will be happy to include that. Who will draft the letter?

Bobbi: I volunteer Erik.

Jen I second the motion.

Mr. McDowell: All in favor - unanimous vote. The motion passes.

Bobbi: I did ask Mike Laioua to comment on the volunteer need for plays in terms of food, etc because I wasn't doing coordination at the beginning. Some of the items are guesses. I was going to send the link to teachers after I received all of the information. If this sheet is a good way for everyone to collaborate.

Sue. This is a great start and a great idea.

Bobbi This was a way for me to see if there is a place for a volunteer coordinator or can the liaisons handle everything? It's a work in progress.

Mr. McDowell: I appreciate this and the three of us, Trinny, Jamin and I have had conversations in the absence of a coordinator. We've all reached out to our liaisons to put these events together. Don't feel like nothing is happening, we've been having individual conversations.

Bobbi: This will be for those liaisons to have a place to go if they have questions.

Laura: I have had email conversations with Mr. Hoffman about who orders the food. I will ask Mr. Hoffman if the clean-up is needed or can the students handle it during the day?

Mr. McDowell: Extra trash receptacles are usually requested. We can depend on our custodial staff, but I like to leave rooms cleaner than when we found them. The custodians have other duties as well. We make sure to clean up.

Mr. McDowell: I received the email from Erik and he is going to be making the presentation at the band concert. I was going to ask if Jen wanted to do it.

Jen: I'm happy to do it. Is there a written announcement?

Mr. McDowell: Let's the three of us converse on this via email.

Mr. McDowell: Before I send the program to print, I will change the QR code to the Sign-up Genius form that will be shared with me. If adjustments are needed, we will work together to get the best results.

Bobbi: I really liked the Choir concert. The students did a great job. My favorite piece was the group of six acapella girls who did 'Deck the Halls'.

Mr. Patek. They did two songs and it was movement coordinated. It was fun to watch.

Bobbi: They did have slides on both sides of the side walls. We could have put PAC slides up. Erik was asking if we will have a banner which we could use. We could use it at gatherings, on lobby tables and at Parent 101 to make us look official. The booster club uses a banner.

Mr. McDowell: If you want to use a banner and attach it to tables you can or we have easels to put next to tables.

Bobbi: Is it just the PAC that has a logo, or does the Music department have a logo?

Mr. McDowell: No, we use an evolving graphic for different programs. It's the PAC logo that Sue uses on the announcements that we put out.

Bobbi: The PAC fundraiser at the Brick is March 9th and I didn't realize that you have something the next day. Hopefully that will not be a problem for the parents to get out to the Brick. I was wondering about the logo for that event.

Mr. McDowell: It would make the most sense to use the PAC logo, since that encompasses the entire performing arts area.

Sue: Can anyone get a banner by Thursday for the Orchestra concert? (ha ha)

Mr. McDowell: Life is busy enough. Let's concentrate on getting one for the March combined concert.

(Perhaps we can get one for the February play?)

4. Email List and Mail Chimp

Sue tabled this until the next meeting due to low attendance at the December meeting.

5. Spring Musical

Sue: We'll get together with the new Graphic Artist in early January and see about Adobe and show him our Google drive where the content is and sell some more ads. We'll see if he is going to do it or else we'll muddle through ourselves.

Mr. McDowell: Or if we have a parent sign up, they could do it. We should learn how to put together a program format.

Bobbi: I was able to reach out to someone for an ad for the fall play, but we did not get it in time. I would like to see a representative for each local area, Glendale, Fox Point, Bayside, River Hills who can go to their local areas and see which businesses are the type of business who is willing to donate, even if it's not to get new business, but just for a good cause. I'd like to see that a little more organized. I'll talk to Erik about it. I would like to see someone recruited for selling ad sales.

Sue: At the last meeting I thought we talked about not just selling ads, but selling something else like shout-outs.

Jen: That may have been me. Shout outs are usually for the musical and play.

Katrina: Yes, the announcement came out Friday and it was due Sunday morning, so there wasn't really a lot of time. I would have done one if I had more time to do it. There were only three or four. Maybe I can work with Ms. Anderle about giving people more time.

Mr. McDowell: That can be a wonderful idea because it builds community. It can also bring about issues that we all need to be sensitive to and aware of. We need to make sure that all the students feel great and have a personalized message in the program and not just the students whose parents have means. Let's keep that in mind as we go forward.

Jen: Was there a cost for that in the past?

Katrina: It was a nominal fee, it's just that the deadline was really fast. Also the t-shirt deadline.

Bobbi: Jen didn't we do something like that where you didn't have to know the person and you could pick from a list of anybody?

Jen: We do a Jewish fundraiser where you can select for a certain amount, an individual child, or the entire band for a fee. Some families will do that and it guarantees that every child gets 'a

hershey bar' or something with a message for them. It takes some organization. Set up the underwriting ahead of time so that every child is recognized.

Mr. McDowell: This might be a good thing to work on for the Spring concert for the Seniors so that every Senior has a shout-out.

6. Other Business

Sue: Was anyone able to make it to the Coffee & Bagels with the Superintendent? I was on vacation and Erik had a last-minute item. I sent out an email because I received the invitation from the secretary.

Mr. Patek: This one wasn't extremely well-attended, in the fall there were about 7 people. This one was focused on the facilities project and a few people attended.

Sue: I haven't been to attend any and I was wondering if that is a good place to recruit volunteers?

Mr. McDowell: Way to go and leave no stone uncovered Sue.

Mr. Patek: I don't think it's terribly well attended because of the time slot in the mornings.

Mr. McDowell: Maybe it needs to be coffee and donuts.

Mr. McDowell: We are at full steam ahead. The Pit Orchestra is up and running, the Pep Band is playing. We're playing at a hockey game this Friday. With the concert season coming Laura is getting students ready for the musical. It feels great to be able to have a normal kind of year and to see all that energy and it's good to be back. Any concerns to take back to the teacher group?

Bobbi: Just make sure that the liaisons need to know what needs to happen after the concert.

Laura: There is nothing after the band concert. (And Orchestra.)

