



Nicolet Performing Arts Committee  
Meeting Minutes  
Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Attendees: Michael McDowell, Erik Kakulis, Jamin Hoffman, Sue Richards, Leslie Krueger, Jen Friedman, Trinny Schumann, Joe Patek, Bobbi Rector, Michael Laiosa, Angie Biersach, Laura Dobrowitz

Welcome new parents!

Mr. McDowell chaired the meeting to assist Sue, who is helping transition from the prior committee whose students graduated last year, to the new committee with new members.

The meeting time was moved up to 6:30 p.m. to accommodate Trinny and Jamin, who had conflicts. The Agenda was moved around.

#### 1) Choir/Orchestra Updates and Budget Requests

Trinny: The Hamilton workshop was October 18th. She thanked the committee for supporting it. It was fantastic. The Q&A session was great. The performer that came was fabulous and relatable.

Current Choir activities: They started a new group called Not in Trouble which is any low voices who identify as tenor, treble or bass. There have not been many low voices in the choir, historically. The number usually builds up over the school year, from 3-4 to 6-8. After sending out an invitation for the new group, they recruited 20 new voices and more.

Bobbie: David loves the group. Mr. McDowell: Trinny has done a great job of recruiting this year.

Current Orchestra activities:

Mr. Hoffmann: Orchestra concert December 16. They have changed the concertwear from tuxedos and long black dresses to a unisex look where all the students are wearing black shirts and black pants. The clothes have arrived. He will sort out and distribute to students who will take home and get their pants hemmed. Should finish distribution this week.

The orchestra groups are 30-40% smaller this year due to the pandemic. He feels the students who have stayed are the ones who are interested and committed. He would love to have more kids join the orchestra.

Bobbi: If there is anything you need from us, please add.

Jamin: I have already given Sue a list of needs for things that are coming up. I sent an email to all orchestra parents last night asking for help distributing the concertware and got one response, but I understand people have day jobs. We'll make it work.

Angie: I didn't receive the email.

Jamin: Will double check and send it to you.

Sue had questions about his requests and opened the budget request google sheet.  
Clarification - snacks after the concert. Estimated cost of \$250. Is that for all three hours?

Jamin: 7th hour after lunch usually gets pizza and the other hours just have cookies.

Sue: Do you usually purchase it and ask for reimbursement?

Jamin: With the accounting changes this year, I'm not sure how it will be handled. I will check with Pat Konzen.

Sue: For Trinny we have ice cream after the spring concert. Is there anything else?

Trinny: Yes, we need solo and ensemble accompanists as in previous years' budgets. The PAC has traditionally helped offset the costs of having the accompanists there for the smaller student ensemble musicians at the festival. She will send an updated request for this.

Also, the December 9th Choir concert is coming up. Also I have restarted the Tri-M Music Honor Society. We just established leadership roles and had our first official meeting. That group is going to help organize this year to reboot the music department (band, orchestra, choir) this year.

No other requests currently, but there will be some recruiting efforts at some point with the partner middle schools that I may ask for some assistance for, depending on travel/in-person options, which looks like in-person here is becoming an option. Theater brought in middle school students and band and orchestra are planning this also.

Mr. McDowell asked if there were any questions.

Bobbi: Are the concert programs printed for the choir, band and orchestra in a different place on the budget Sue?

Mr. McDowell: I typically print my own programs for the band.

Jamin: I take them to Mequon Copy Master due to being busy before the concert.

Trinny: I've done Copy Master that past three times. They are reasonable and easy to work with.

Bobbi: Is that something that the PAC pays for that you submit or are you using your own budgets?

Trinny: Traditionally it has been our own budgets. Jamin do you know?

Jamin: It has gone both ways. When Liz was president she would pay for it and got reimbursed.

Bobbi: Well you'll let us know if you need our help.

Mr. McDowell: It appears the program inserts were particular to the play with the cover and the language and shout-outs. We will need to have the list of donors so that we can build those into our programs.

#### Other Budget Requests

Sue: We decided not to do the concessions this year, so nothing is needed there. I don't think there is anything else unless food for rehearsals is needed or something else. We did budget some money for that.

Mr. McDowell asked Jamin and Trinny to get back to Sue with any updates on that. Do we need a committee vote on any of these expenditures? Jamin or Trinny are there any that need to be approved by the board between now and the next meeting?

Trinny: No, the middle school and solo/ensemble can be discussed at the next meeting.

Mr. Hoffman: I agree.

Trinny and Jamin left for their next meeting.

#### 2) Band Updates and Budget Requests

The band played at 3 football pep-band games and also at a volleyball match. Dan Jacobsen did a great job with the parents' night. They also played at the Target opening at Bayshore Mall. A couple of other opportunities have come up. A small student group will be at Bayshore Mall playing in the Rotunda. That will provide some fund-raising which will offset the cost for a few of the jazz players' New York trip.

The New York trip planning is underway. Transportation and hotels are the larger costs. The play and/or musical is not chosen yet. This will be done by student committee decision during their November/December meetings. He found a potential recital performance Friday evening (May). Reservations have been made for Birdland Jazz Club for Friday night.

As soon as Mr. McDowell knows the actual performance dates and ticket fees he will make his grant request for underwriting assistance from the PAC. There are about 27 students going and Laura Anderle and he will be the chaperones. Limited chaperones keeps the costs down. They will leave Thursday p.m., May 26th 2022 and drive overnight and arrive on Friday a.m., May

27th. They will stay until Monday p.m., May 30th and drive overnight and arrive back Tuesday May 31st a.m. They will miss about 1-½ days of school.

The pep band will start playing at some of the upcoming basketball games. The Band concert is on December 22nd. He met with Jen Friedman about the upcoming volunteer needs. The first group of volunteers is needed for the mass pep band with middle school students on January 28th. Jen has volunteered to coordinate that. Thank you. Pizza and soda will be served and parent volunteers will be recruited.

Ice cream sundaes will be served following the spring concert in May. He will announce the need for volunteers at the upcoming concert. A sign-up is needed for the mass pep band and he would like to discuss a short volunteer get-together after the December concert for prospective volunteers with refreshments.

There was a sign-up sheet after the fall play set up by Michael Laiosa.

Michael: It wasn't really successful. A big sign/banner is needed. People appreciate the PAC but did not commit to assisting. Karn and Rob Cronwell couldn't attend this meeting but they are available to help out.

Mr. McDowell: If we make announcements, put it in the program and detail specific ways that parents can get involved in short-term, one off projects, like serving pizza and the solo/ensemble festival, and also having signage in the theater lobby, would that be successful or are there other things we could try?

Jen: What if we put a QR code in the program that linked to a Sign-Up Genius that had all the different opportunities to sign-up at that time? (Great Idea Jen!) Incentive - offer 5 extra credit points for their student.

Mr. McDowell: Love the QR idea. We need to figure out an incentive program that works in tandem with the integrity of our assessment strategy.

Angie: The QR code will allow parents to sign-up quicker than going to an email or a piece of paper.

Erik: We've had the QR codes before but it went to the form that said 'sign-up for helping some time and we'll call you'. While that is a great way to collect names and email addresses, I really like Jen's idea of already stacking it with a bunch of totally actionable things and also still have the other roles, if they want to be committee members. So we can filter them through a sieve of what we need done first. A menu of needs first. Want more, join the PAC. That should be our standard instead of the current QR code Opt-In letter. People like to stay below the radar.

Sue: The sign-up genius for snacks for the tech rehearsals was filled by the time the dates came up. It works really well.

Erik: Keeping the sign-up genius link the same with all volunteer activities would allow us to re-use the QR code. Needs can be added and removed when completed.

Mr. McDowell: As Jamin, Trinny and I are forming our programs, we will work with our individual liaisons and work out the details with them. I love these ideas. The QR codes have linked to specific addresses, so we'll have to take a look at the format for the sign-up genius to see if we want to re-use the same sign-up.

Michael: That shouldn't be too hard. When I was setting up for Curious Incident ticket sale volunteers, I could see all the older sign-ups. We could have a standard sign-up where we could change the dates or add new dates, but it would be the same landing page.

Jen and Mr. McDowell will work on the logistics of the sign-up for Band so they can create a QR for the program.

Jen: Are you thinking of one QR code for sign-up for all activities, or just a QR code for band activities?

Mr. McDowell: A specific sign-up for the area that their child is participating in, so they can contribute to that area. If we want a more generalized sign-up, we could also do that.

Erik: Add a footer that says if you are interested in doing more, sign-up here.

Mr. McDowell: Let's move forward with that. I will be looking for volunteers to serve pizza, ice cream, solo/ensemble volunteers and will let you know if anything else comes up.

### 3) Fall Play Debriefing

Ms. Anderle is busy with post-play activities and was unable to attend. Comments on the fall play:

Mr. Patek: The most insightful thing which I learned at the Performing Arts luncheon was that the script did not have any stage directions on it. They had to create those and the set design themselves. It's incredible how much creativity had to go into the design and movement of the chalk boards and positioning for exterior/interior scenes. And how do you get inside the main character's head as they are going through their thoughts. Learning that just changed my whole thoughts on how creative Laura, Colleen and Eric were.

Erik: I was really impressed with the maturity with which they took that material and put it together. That was a challenging play. There was a lot of lighter fare they could have chosen and they really dove deep on that. Everything we see on that stage amazes me and this one affected me in how it was beyond their years and how they communicated what was going on in the head of the main character and others working with the main character.

Sue: I was wondering if the cast who had the british accents learned those or if they are actually british students, because they were so realistic.

Michael: They learned them. My daughter and her colleagues were practicing for a month and a half and it came together at the end. My daughter has got me to be a crew geek and for the last 3 years I've been impressed with how much the kids run the show. He gave a 30 second spiel about the PAC from the sound-booth before the performances, and the stage manager has a commanding presence. All the checks were a team effort and it is a credit to Laura.

Mr. McDowell, over the past 20 years I've been impressed with how the kids are guided to work together. It's not just about the final product, but the entire process and Laura is very strong at this guidance. We're lucky to have her.

#### 4) Ad Sales and Marketing

Bobbi:

We had a late start and a slow start. By the end ads picked up and we had about ten or so. We had kids from FEAR help us make the insert. We had a one week lead time, and then we had a big run at the end. There were some changes that could have been made but FEAR was starting up and there wasn't time. Angie commented that there were some problems with the shout-outs. Each of us looked at the program in our specific areas and we made corrections, but must have missed some things. We learned that we have to do this way sooner and have someone with the technology skills. FEAR will be super busy in the next couple of months and it's not something that we can rely on them for. We need to find parents who can contribute a little better to that process.

Erik: Everything Bobbi said is correct in terms of the timing, not sure if we could have fixed that. Project Management 101, the first ½ is slow and then the project moves more quickly. I do feel good that we did engage the FEAR team and I would like to continue those sorts of collaborations. It teaches the kids about how these sorts of things get done in real life. The FEAR students that worked directly with us learned from the experience. The piece wasn't perfect, but we can correct that with the next shows coming up. Perhaps we can complete some more ad sales also. We can use the current piece as sales material. I am requesting the source files from the FEAR team so we can reassign the work and not start over.

Can we find out if there are other resources around the school? Graphic Arts? We know the FEAR team will be busy. We did surprise them. We are super thankful and really appreciated it. We'd love to work with them again. Let's go back to the list and entice some more sponsors. We'll get the files and find another resource. I can do it in a pinch.

Bobbi: FEAR has it in their agenda to do outreach around the school and community. They are supposed to help University School with Adobe. Perhaps their marketing will reach out to us in the future.

Sue: Ms. Anderle did reach out to the Graphic Arts Instructor, but he said there were not any students with those skills strong enough to do the piece.

Mr. McDowell: Is this something we should ask for a volunteer for at the concert?

Erik: That should be on the sign-up genius. We will certainly take volunteers but prefer the student involvement there too because of the experience it provides. Parents don't play the lead in the play.

Bobbi: Do the kids get involved in the yearbook layout?

Mr. Patek: They do layout. There are templates they follow. It depends on how unique they want to get. It's digital. The graphics guys get hit up a lot for a lot of different stuff. Sometimes they can help and also office staff ask for work also.

Sue: Who does the Nicolet Rec bulletin?

Mr. Patek: That comes from the Athletics and Activities area. They are transitioning from Mueller communications to keep it internal. Sandy Couch is our communications Coordinator and helps with those pieces and district communications.

Erik: Action Items

- a) Collect all artifacts from FEAR.
- b) Who will follow up on people that can help with the next layout? (Rec Bulletin, Graphic Arts)
- c) Create Sign-Ups for a parent by area/Ask for volunteers at concerts.

Mr. Patek: Ask for a parent, get feedback from Graphic Arts.

Jen: How much time, put into the request.

Bobbi: It's six pages

Erik: FEAR estimate - 10 hours starting from blank slate. If not starting blank, 4-6 hours to replace cover, new ads, donors, shout-outs for theater, etc. A few hours to proof-read, make corrections and send the pdf to CopyMaster per show. It needs a refresh for each show.

The instructors do their programs and the PAC has to insert their flyer ads, donor recognition, etc in their pages.

Mike: Who does the 4th of July committee flyer? Erik will contact Ann Dueser to find out. It seems that the time commitment is not outrageous and if a graphic parent does it, it will take 45 minutes and we should be able to find a parent who can do this.

Mr. Patek: Ann actually left GABA three weeks ago.

The files for the instructors will be on the PAC drive and shared with the instructors. We will work out with Mr. McDowell what he will put into his program. Sue will check with Angela Pierro

if she can get her files in case we don't get the FEAR material. Original image ads are in jpg format. Mr. McDowell will check with Sue regarding additional donors as she will be on vacation December 1-10.

## 7) Finance Report

Sue removed other grant monies from the budget for Orchestra/Theater. Mr. McDowell will let us know if he needs more than \$2,500.00 for the New York trip.

Revenue: \$4,800.00 from donors and ad sales.

Expenses: \$3,454 for tech rehearsal food, programs and Hamilton.

Current funds: 30,388.00. Compared to last year, the revenue is lower because no ad sales, but no printed program expenses. Compared to prior year, we're about 1/2 of what we sold in ads. Donations are relatively the same as last year.

Discussion about discounted ad cost, but there are 5 times the people at the spring musical. Jen suggested we put something in the program about purchasing ads - link to ad sale info. Need to develop this idea.

Bobbi suggested having a powerpoint of ads before the performances. We would need someone to put it together. Put it on the sign-up genius.

Mr. McDowell suggested ads on the tv tron. Mr. Patek doesn't know if it can be put on certain tv's.

Sue will fill in new members who signed up via the QR code Opt-in but didn't get the meeting notice in time. Erik will compile a master list of volunteers within the sign-up genius. Sue will send it to Erik. A complete list of volunteers we can send the sign-up genius QR code to.